Monday, July 10, 2006

Get your free credit report

How to get a free credit report

Probably the most advertised free credit report service is http://www.freecreditreport.com. However, I tried the site and I couldn't figure out a way to actually get a free credit report. The other day I was driving home from work and I heard a news story about actually getting a free annual credit report. This one actually works and you do not have to put in a credit card. Unfortunately, you do need to put in a social security number but I guess that makes sense.

The site is called https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp it provides a yearly free credit report from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion, in order to monitor credit history and guard against identity theft. I tried the service and it works. It is amazing how many different credit cards and lines of credit at different stores you accumulate over the years. It is probably a good idea to go through the list of lines of credit and credit cards and cancel them. Some of them I didn't even remember opening.

Anyway it is a good way to get your free credit report on line. You don't have to pay for it. Of course they have all kinds of options that you can buy like subscribing to a service that informs you if your credit score has changed additionally in order for you to get your FICO score they also want to charge you something like $6.95. Not sure why they do that.

Related links:

Thanks for visiting please check out my other blogs and websites:

If you enjoyed this post please Subscribe to Strategies for Life.

No comments: